Monday, February 25, 2008

Pack a spare, ladies. Pack a spare.

If you are male, reading this, I'm warning you right now... you might not want to read further as this post includes mention of bras & what goes inside of them. On that note...

This last weekend Child and I accompanied some friends (S & A), up north to S's brother and Sister in Law's. They have a daughter, about a year younger than Child, and the two girls have become pretty good friends.

Anyway, the weekend went well. The kids played, the adults had good conversation and even got to play a game of Scrabble. Sunday morning dawned foggy and a little chilly. It began as any other Sunday morning for the most part. I got up fairly early, started getting ready for meeting, and all was peaceful as most of the house was still quietly slumbering in their beds. It wasn't hard to figure out what to wear that morning as there was just one outfit in the suitcase to choose from. A light pink top with a pink and brown skirt. One of my personal favorites.

I should preface this next part by saying that when taking a trip, I try to pack only what is absolutely necessary as far as clothing goes, in the actual suitcase. There are too many other bags to carry. One for shoes (yes, one entire bag dedicated to shoes). One bag for all the hair products, (including but not limited to a curling iron and blow dryer), and other toiletries that come with two females traveling. There are way too many bags to carry as it is, without having to worry about lugging a large suitcase stuffed with clothes. With that being said, it is no wonder then, that I only packed one bra. No need for two, it was only a couple of days and the one packed is very versatile. Can't see it beneath even the lightest colored of shirts.

There is no need for two bras as long as the one does its job properly. However, when said bra decides to choose Sunday morning, away from home, to break it's clasp beyond repair, it causes a slight panic attack from the person attempting to wear it for the day. What to do?? It's Sunday morning. Walmart is nowhere near our current location, nor is it anywhere to be found on the way to meeting. There is NO WAY I can just fake it and go without. The shirt is way too thin and light colored for that. After taking a few deep breaths, I decided to start my hair with the thought that in very short order our hostess would be up, I could get a safety pin, and all would be right with the world again.

The safety pin came but it was no use. There was no way that thing was going to be held together by a safety pin (it was a front clasping device). Soooooo, moving on to plan B. Only, there was no plan B to move on toward. My friend A very graciously offered to loan me an extra bra she had been smart enough to bring. Only problem with that? She is more the watermelon type while I am more the kiwi type. After attempting to stuff it with socks to pretend I was the watermelon type, we both agreed it just wasn't going to work. Our hostess then very graciously offered me one of her bras. That worked much better. Wasn't perfect, but it did the job it was intended to do.

So, next time you take a trip, anywhere, whether it be for one day or seven days... ladies please, pack a spare bra! You just never know when it will come in handy, either for yourself or some poor soul like me, who was just trying to save a little space for what was once thought of as more important things, such as shoes. While it's true that shoes complete the outfit and can make the difference between looking great or looking just so-so, I have learned that a bra is even more vital to your outfit. Without it, there ain't no one gonna be lookin' at your fabulous shoes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that great story...and piece of advice! Never again will I go without a second bra. I too have done what you do, as my bag is also full of other "necessities."
I'm glad it all worked out for your kiwis!! :)

Unknown said...

you my friend need to become a writer! Thanks for a great laugh. Another Kiwi but not the one you where refering to. D