Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Phone Call That Changed Our Household

There is big news in our little family.  Since Hubs was a teenager he has been living on the road for work.  He has been at his current job for seven years, working on the road.  When we first started dating he was working in South Dakota.  A few months into our relationship they moved him to North Dakota.  Since March of this year he has been in Livermore, CA.  He gets to come home one weekend a month. 

Before we got married I knew that this was his life and I was okay with his time on the road.  I have been on my own for a very long time and having him gone did not bother me a whole lot.  At least I didn't think it did.  Yesterday Hubs officially quit his job.  I did not realize until it was done just how much I am going to love having him home more often.  Blueberry has been asking him for a while now why he can't just quit.  She would tell him, "mom works, you can just get money from her".  Ah, the innocence of a child.  Hubs has mentioned quitting a few times, we've talked about it but I didn't know he was thinking about it as seriously as he was until this last weekend.  We talked about it long into the night on Sunday and the decision was made.  He would quit and try to find work closer to home. 

I thought it would scare me, the reality of him not having a job.  But I just feel excited.  I will finally get to know what it really feels like to be married.  I will be able to talk to my husband in person at the end of the day instead of through a telephone.  I don't know exactly what the future holds.  I am not worried that Hubs won't find a job, he has a lot of options and I am confident it won't be too long until he is working again.  All I know is that we will finally get to be a real family. 

I haven't told Blueberry yet.  Hubs had to leave yesterday for work (he won't be officially done until the end of the month) but will be back home on Friday.  I decided to let Hubs tell Blueberry when he gets home.  It is his news and he should get to see the look on her face when she finds out her wish is going to come true.  With one phone call to his boss our world does not look the same as it did yesterday.  But I am loving the new "us".

2 comments:

Swenson Family said...

Yahoo for all 3 of you!!!!! How wonderfully exciting news...and I wish him the best in finding a new job!

mjs said...

Wow, this is HUGE news! So awesome! :) Best of luck to him with the job search!