I am happy to report, things are improving for Blueberry. It seems the ignoring trick is working. Bullista has, for the most part, stopped picking on Blueberry. She even asked, on Friday, if Blueberry wanted to play with her and her friends. Blueberry happily obliged and all is well, at least for now. Blueberry has started taking advantage of the free breakfast the school offers and managed to make a couple of friends that way too. She is back to being excited for school and this week she is the "Scientist of the Week". We are to practice a science experiment at home and then one day this week I will go to school with her and we will perform our most exciting experiment for the class.
The other day Blueberry came home and told me about a little boy in her class that no one would play with. She said, "mom, I feel so bad for him because he always just sits on the sidewalk by himself and watches us play. Sometimes he looks like he's going to cry". I mentioned to her that maybe she should ask him if he wanted to play with her. So, the next day she came home and told me that she asked him and he accepted her offer and they played together all day. She told me what a great idea it was to extend the offer of friendship to him. Ya think? Anyway, the following day I asked her if she had played with him again. This was our conversation:
Me: Did you play with S today?
B: No. I told T to play with him.
Me: Um, what?
B: Well, mom, S is a boy and he should play with boys. I told T that S needed a friend and he should play with him.
Me: So, did T play with S?
B: Yep. S doesn't sit by himself anymore. Isn't that great?
Yes, it is great. I'm not sure if I should be proud that she's such an advocate for the kids who need a friend or if I should be concerned that she's turning into Little Miss Bossy. Either way, I'm happy that first grade, once again, has become the wonderful thing she has waited her whole life for.
3 comments:
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and "de-lurking"! I love hearing from people who read my blog. The comments mean a lot to me.
Your daughter is beautiful, just like her mom. This story touched my heart, so much. It is obvious that you have taught your little Blueberry to be a very compassionate soul. Awesome job, mom! You should be very proud that she noticed someone in need, and then took him under her wing. I think it was very clever of her to find another little boy for her new friend to pal around with. Sometimes, girls just want to be girls, especially once they get to first grade!
Beautiful story! Keep up the great work! Please come by and say hello anytime!
Hugs,
Debbie
You are raising Blueberry to be such a sweet and compassionate child. Great job mom!
Awesome news things are better!!! Yeah!!!
Post a Comment