Saturday, April 26, 2008

All it needed was a pole

Blueberry had her dance show today. All the girls looked so cute in their costumes. Parents, Grandparents, friends and other relatives filled the gym to see their little darlings perform. The first groups of girls danced their hearts out and all was well. About three quarters of the way into the show they announced a change to the program. The instructor was going to perform a surprise dance number.

This instructor, for lack of a better term, is very odd. There has always been something that has made me a little uncomfortable around her. Just one of those things you can't really put your finger on. She used to be a dancer herself "back in the day", and from what I hear she was very good. Because of what I've heard about her I was a little curious to see her perform. She was going to be dancing to Black Velvet. When she appeared in the middle of the floor we, the audience, were greeted with another surprise. Not only was she going to dance to Black Velvet, but she was also going to sing Black Velvet. Who knew she was so mulit-talented?

Well, she's not. At all. The singing was terrible. Not that I really have any room to judge because I can't sing a note but this woman could not sing. And then she started dancing. At least I think that is what she was supposed to be doing. The room grew very quiet. It was not the silence of an audience struck with the beauty of the dance. It was the silence of an audience disturbed at what was unfolding before them. One minute we were enjoying our daughter's, granddaughters, nieces and sisters performing the dances they had worked so hard at, the next minute we were transported to the sleaziest strip club in Vegas. Only this strip club didn't have a pole. And the dancer, fortunately for us, didn't take her clothes off.

It was horrible. Completely inappropriate. And I felt like I needed to take a shower when I left. I have no idea who thought that performance was a good idea but I've been on the fence about this program for a little while now. The wannabe strip tease we were subjected to sealed the deal for me. Pole or no pole, we will not be participating in this program again. Ever.

1 comment:

BlueBella said...

Oh WOW. Anyone have that on video so you could post it to youtube? LOL