We started out our first day of vacation by getting up at 3 am. Not the highlight of the trip. Needless to say, I was asleep before the plane even took off the ground. It was quite a sight flying into NY. I would just like to say, before we get in too deep here, that the pictures in these posts will not do justice to being there in person.
The flight was uneventful. As we were walking out of the airport to catch a cab, a man came up to us and offered us a ride to our hotel. We accepted. I tried not to panic when we got to the car and saw a HANDICAP SIGN hanging from his rear view mirror! It was a scary ride. Of course, every cab ride in NY is scary, handicap sign or not! I cannot believe the way they drive there. They take off like a bullet from a red light, go top speed down the block and screech to a halt at the next red light. All the while they are weaving in and out of traffic and dodging pedestrians. Crazy.
As we were early and our hotel did not have a room ready yet, we checked our bags and decided to start the exploring. Our first stop was Rockefeller Center.
We went inside the NBC building where Hubs got to converse with Matt Lauer!
We went to the Top of the Rock where we had pretty amazing views of the city.
After Rockefeller we decided to check out the Museum of Modern Art or the MoMA as New Yorkers call it. I found it to be extremely boring and was really glad when it was time to head back to the hotel to check in to our room.
Our hotel room was really nice. I was expecting it to be the size of a shoebox, literally, but it was really good sized. We had a suite, maybe that's why it seemed a lot bigger.
The only room that was small was the bathroom.
Once we were settled into our hotel the exploring resumed. Our next stop was Grand Central Terminal. We took the audio tour and found it to be very interesting. They said that approximately 700,000 people go through GCT a day!
That night for supper we had some NY pizza. The pizzeria we went to had quite a wait, as most places do in NY. We waited for about 45 minutes and everyone was jam packed into the bar area of the restaurant. Literally, everyone was packed in like sardines. You couldn't move, the restaurant staff had a hard time maneuvering through the crowd. I don't know how they are even allowed to have people wait for tables that way. One would think it would be a violation of a fire code or something. I did not get a picture as I couldn't move to get my camera! The pizza was well worth the wait. One thing we discovered about NY, the service is pretty amazing. They are super fast with taking your order and getting your food out but they have to be. Most places are pretty small and they all have long lines of people waiting to eat. Hubs watched the staff clear a table behind us and they had the dishes cleared, the table wiped, reset and people sitting opening their menus in less than 60 seconds!
After our pizza we were all pretty beat and made our way back to the hotel to crash for the night...
No comments:
Post a Comment